Monday, March 17, 2014

Prepare Ye! Saint Mary's School's Godspell!

[caption id="attachment_1596" align="alignnone" width="284"]Photo Credits to Shara Sharappudin Photo Credits to Shara Sharappudin[/caption]

Author's Note: I really have to blame myself for posting this late but hey better late than never. I was able to publish first a different version of this musical's review in Mindanao Goldstar Daily's UrbanLife in my column called "Curtain Call" a few weeks back where I'm privileged to review and write about this great musical production. This is another version and purely original take since my "Curtain Call" article is now the property of MGSD-UrbanLife. Hope you guys enjoy this though! :)

As usual, one of the most anticipated events or happenings that I tend to watch out for every February-March season is the musical theater plays that St. Mary's School will be producing. Last 2013, I was purely amazed by this school's production of Wicked which I gave a two-thumbs up. As an official true-blood Wicked fan, I was truly satisfied with that production to the point that I kept my ticket as a great memorabilia of that epic night. This year, they have officially have done it again with their production of Godspell. It had a 3-night performance last February 22-24 2014 at their own campus in Mandumol, Macasandig, Cagayan de Oro City.

Just a little background, Godspell is one of those musicals that had great fame in Broadway, Off-Broadway, and other international productions ever since its debut years back. With music and lyrics done by Stephen Schwartz, this is just one of those musicals where you can definitely get your feet tapping with the great tunes this musical had.

The story of the musical is based from the collection of parables and gospels found in the book of Mathew in which were reenacted in a fusion of 70-80's fashion and music, modern situations, and of course traditional bible verses and hymns. The most notable key features of this musical is that the choir is mostly dressed as clowns and the modernized scenarios that fit today's generation like an argument of which is better : an Android or an iOS phone! Just who wouldn't relate to that? When somebody aske what are my personal faves? It would definitely be the first song of Act I - Prepare Ye and the Last Song Syndrome worthy catchy tune of Day by Day.

With a great live band to play the music and songs, great talented cast, and fantastic lighting set-up as it brings the color and emotions of the characters to life, there's no doubt that Godspell was a great musical treat. I will be returning next year for another surprising theater performance from these talented individuals! Bravo!


My deepest thanks to Sensei Joey Salo for helping me getting the ticket and one of the best seats! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comm-ent!